Gary C. Hay, RA, CID, PRINCIPAL
Gary provides proven and creative experience focused on the design and planning of corporate, transit, civic and campus facilities. Educated as both an architect and urban designer, Gary Hay has over thirty years of experience directing the design of large-scale urban designs, master plans, institutional building designs, and residential projects and has formulated various building design guidelines. He has programmed, planned and designed over five million sf of learning and student life space on campuses across North America. Additionally, Gary is an expert in construction, construction means and methods, and cost estimating. His knowledge is applied to all phases of the design process to ensure that the project scope and design is aligned with the project budget and schedule expectations. Recognized as a leader in the design and planning of corporate, civic, campus and education facilities, Gary has been directly involved with the design and planning of over 75 higher education projects for public and private colleges and universities across the region. He has developed master plans for the Charleston Navy Yard, The Boston Aquarium, Boston World Trade Center, Scottish Equitable Headquarters, River Garden Plan for Lowertown St. Paul, Station Area Master Plans for Brooklyn Park and Crystal, Minnesota.He has practiced in the Twin Cities, New York, Boston and London.
Mr. Hay provides leadership to all aspects of the design practice at Hay Dobbs. He is responsible for overall firm oversight and management and outlines the action plans necessary to meet organizational goals. Gary oversees the structure, and mobilizes project teams, that are consistent with the needs of our clients. His thoughtful approach inspires striking design applied to everyday use. His extensive range of experience provides unparalleled expertise to clients and their projects.
- Masters of Science in Architecture and Urban Design, Columbia University
- Bachelors of Architecture, University of Minnesota
LICENSING, MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS
- Registered Architect, MN
- Certified Interior Designer, MN
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- NAIOP “Smart Growth” Committee Member
- Economic Development Association of Minnesota (EDAM)
- Institute of Real Estate Managers (IREM)
- Association of College and University Housing Officials- International (ACUHO-I)
Thomas E. Dobbs, RA, CID, NCARB, LEED-AP, PRINCIPAL
Over his twenty-six year career as an architect, planner and designer, Tom has developed a keen ability to link economically sound solutions with the vision and needs of diverse clients. Tom brings broad and proven professional experience to the projects he is involved with, adding value by identifying new strategies outside traditional limits of architecture and planning. He has extensive background in the design of complex addition/renovation projects as well as major new facilities. His work includes leadership roles in the development of master site and facilities plans, feasibility studies, facility evaluations, building design and renovation projects. Tom is a proven leader with extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of the development process, including preplanning, economic architecture, development guidelines, capital and operating cost proforma development, lease negotiations, real estate finance, branding and identity development. He is a member of the Society for College and University Planning and he has been frequent speaker at both national and regional conferences. As an educator and designer, he is keenly aware of the trends in higher education institutions and the millennial generation’s impact on living and learning space in higher education today. He continues to focuses on examining how the pedagogical shift in learning environments—from tutor-led instruction to technology infused collaborative learner-led instruction—is transforming learning communities and places for instruction.
A licensed architect, certified interior designer, urban designer, and LEED accredited professional, Tom brings cross-discipline insight to projects while integrating extensive “outside of the box” skills and knowledge in strategic planning, master planning, predesigns, rightsizing, renovation, new project design, branding, identity development, wayfinding and placemaking. Tom has taught, guest lectured or presented at North Dakota State University, Art Institutes International, Twin Cities Interior Design Expo, NTI Commencement, EDAM Winter Conference, APA Convention, ARCC Convocation, Cretin-Derham Hall, MnSCU and SCUP.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. Professional Development Coursework
- North Dakota State University, Bachelor of Architecture w/ Honors, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design, w/ Honors
- Ecole d’Art Americaines, Fountainebleau, France; Awarded Mention Bien
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design, Furniture Design Series
LICENSING, MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS
- NCARB Certified • USGBC LEED®-AP
- Registered Architect, MN, ND, AZ, SD • Certified Interior Designer, MN
- Society for College and University Planning (SCUP)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Economic Development Assocation of Minnesota (EDAM)
- Rail-Volution Participant
- IMPACT Certified USAV Coach
- Midway Chamber of Commerce